Sunday 29 November 2015

Open letter to Jazz Jennings Mother

Jeanette Jennings:

   I've watched all of the episodes of season 1 in "I am Jazz", and I want you to know you are doing the right thing.

   I know that sometimes you feel that maybe you aren't.  You say that often in the show, but you are.

   I know you are, because you are teaching Jazz to be an advocate and an activist.  This is something she will need to know in the future, because all of her live people will tell her she "can't" because she's different.

  I know.  I'm different.  And I've had people question my right to do things because I'm different.  (No I'm not transgender or LGBT in any way).

   You are teaching her to stand up for herself, to stand up for other people, to make a difference in this world, and to be herself without apology.  These are all things she'll have to know once she grows up, and leaves the protective embrace of you and Greg.  She won't have to learn them on her own, because you are teaching them to her right now.

  Good job.

  You are doing the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment